Your home should be a haven – a place where you can relax, unwind, and feel comfortable. Unfortunately, for many people, their homes are anything but. If your home is in need of a makeover but you don’t know where to start, then this article is for you!
We’ve compiled a list of 20 tips that will instantly make your home look better. From simple things like decluttering and adding plants, to more involved projects like painting the walls and rearranging the furniture, there’s something on this list for everyone.
So what are you waiting for? Get started on making your home into the haven it was meant to be!
1. Tidy up your home’s entrances: First impressions matter, and your home’s entrance is the first thing guests will see. Make sure it is clean and inviting by decluttering, adding a welcome mat, and hanging a wreath or other decoration on the door.
2. Make your bed every morning: This is a small task that can make a big difference. Taking a few minutes to make your bed every morning will start your day on the right foot and make your bedroom look and feel more inviting.
3. Keep surfaces clear: Surfaces like tables, countertops, and dressers tend to collect clutter. Keep them clear by putting away items that don’t belong and investing in pretty storage solutions for the things you do need to keep out.
4. Put things away: A general rule of thumb is that if you don’t use something on a daily basis, it should be put away. This will help to declutter your space and make it look more tidy.
5. Get organized: An organized home is a happy home. Take the time to declutter your closets, cupboards, and storage areas. This will not only make your home look better, but it will also make it easier to find things when you need them.
6. Do a “dump run”: As part of your weekly cleaning routine, set aside some time to do a “dump run”. This simply means getting rid of any trash or recycling that has accumulated throughout the week.
7. Purge regularly: In addition to doing a weekly “dump run”, it’s also important to purge your home of items you no longer need or use on a regular basis. Give away or sell items that are taking up space but that you don’t need.
8. Invest in storage: A well-organized home is a happy home. Invest in storage solutions that will help you to keep your space tidy and organized. This can be anything from baskets and boxes to shelving units and cabinets.
9. Hang art at eye level: Art can add interest and personality to your space. When hanging artwork, be sure to do so at eye level for the best effect.
10. Bring in plants: Plants not only add life to your space, but they can also help to purify the air. Choose plants that are low-maintenance and that will thrive in the conditions of your home.
11. Incorporate color: Color can have a big impact on the look and feel of your home. Incorporate color into your space by painting the walls, adding accessories, and using bold fabrics.
12. Use trays, baskets, and bowls: Trays, baskets, and bowls are wonderful ways to organize and accessorize your home. They can be used to store and display items, and they can also be used to serve food and drinks.
13. Layer lighting: Lighting is an important part of any space. When layering lighting, be sure to use a mix of different types of lighting, including overhead lighting, task lighting, and accent lighting.
14. Get new hardware: New hardware can make a big difference in the look of your home. Update cabinet hardware, door hardware, and light fixtures for an instant change.
15. Use pretty labels: Label anything and everything! This will help you to keep your home organized and will make it easier to find things when you need them
16. Group like with like: When grouping items together, be sure to do so in a way that makes sense. For example, group all of your cleaning supplies together or all of your office supplies together.
17. Arrange furniture for conversation: When arranging furniture, be sure to do so in a way that promotes conversation. This means placing chairs and sofas in a way that faces each other.
18. Center your attention: When choosing where to place your furniture, be sure to center your attention around one focal point. This could be a fireplace, a television, or a piece of artwork.
19. Create vignettes: Vignettes are small, visually pleasing arrangements. Create vignettes on shelves, coffee tables, and other surfaces for a touch of style.
20. Use mirrors: Mirrors are a great way to reflect light and make a space look larger. Place mirrors on walls, in hallways, and in other strategic locations.